I’m interested in learning mindful distress practices to do at home. What are some practices to stay peaceful and grounded? Do you think an inward practice will be helpful?
Yes, I absolutely think a mindful practice is helpful. This is a good time for all of us to go inward. By sitting quietly daily and going inward you will learn to rely on yourself to bring yourself into a space of peace. It is a great way to get to know ourselves too and shut out the external noise. It’s important to know that our stability and peace is always within us. And, we have the choice to tap into it.
There are many different inward practices. Here are a few examples:
1. Breathing meditation: Begin by sitting comfortably, closing your eyes and relax your body. Focus on your breath. Feel your breath coming in your nose and leaving your nose.
2. Relaxation meditation: With each inhale through your nose, breathe in relaxation to each body part beginning with the toes. Mindfully send your love, gratitude and relaxation all the way from your toes up to your head.
3. Breathe in love and joy from the highest source of love and exhale out all of your stresses.
4. Another option is to see this beautiful light within you and allow it to expand and fill up your whole body and connect with love from above.
5. Go outside in nature and sit or lie down. Close your eyes and relax. Bring your awareness to feel the sun or wind on your skin. Hold your attention there. Feel as if the sun is flooding you with love and light energy.
6. Imagine releasing and disconnecting from other people’s energy that doesn’t serve you. The more you do this, the more you are grounded in your own energy.
Each time we bring ourselves from worry to inner peace we strengthen confidence in our own abilities to manage our energy. It’s very empowering. During a stressful time, remind yourself that you are much more than this moment. This experience is just one drop of water in your entire sphere of existence. You are much grander, much more powerful, whole, intuitive and infinite. Say, “I accept this. I trust all is well. I commit to being in peace and harmony during this time.”
Bring your energy inward to discover how powerful you are as a divine being.
– – –
Laurie Martin is a leading teacher of self-love and personal empowerment. She is a certified life coach, speaker, yoga teacher, writer, advice columnist and author of “Smile Across Your Heart: The Process of Building Self-Love,” and an e-book, “The Conscious Breakup Guide.” Laurie’s forthcoming book is titled “Language of the Heart: Unconditional Love, Living Fully Empowered.” To contact Laurie, please email her at LaurieM@SmileAcrossYourHeart.com.